Victor is a writer, possessed by a terrifying story, hunting for refugee performers of a theatre destroyed in a mysterious fire. Drawn to a remote settlement founded by the mysterious Stronheim, he finds his friends under the wing of an aristocratic noble and her childlike ward. A dangerous pact is made between Victor and Stronheim: The destroyed theatre will be reconstructed, and in return, Victor must complete his story — no matter the cost.
Experience the madness and terror of haunted cinema, as you witness the film unravel inside Stronheim's factory and its characters come to life around you. Strange Factories draws on ancient theatrical traditions and mystical exploration, to wrench at the heart of what it means to be human. Will you allow it to show you the wonder behind the moving pictures — the dreams of violent imagination?
Not everyone can survive the violence of Creation.
“FoolishPeople's immersive theatrical experience propels visitors into the dark and disturbing world of a haunted cinema where the doomed characters come to life with devastating consequences.” — Evening Standard
“The production fuses the haunting, authentic dreamworlds of David Lynch and the theatrical philosophies of Antonin Artaud....to create a vivid and disturbing reality to powerfully draw in the audience.” — Nick Dawson, Filmmaker Magazine Fall 2013 Issue
“Immersive theatre pioneers, FoolishPeople have manifested a live cinema production that takes you deep into the heart of a horror film, albeit a surreal one...Immersive theatre at its best.” — Sarah Stewart, Londonist
“Strange Factories, an immersive, theatrical and cinematic tour de force.” — British Airways, Things to do in London, What's Hot, October 2013
“I found the entire night an inspiring and beautiful experience from start to finish. It felt like a hundred different storytelling techniques were used, drawn from the past few centuries and woven together to explore the age old questions of what art is. I was captivated from the beginning and the ballet crescendo struck a perfect end note to evening that felt like one long dance. It was fitting that a night celebrating the early days of the moving image should be so truly magical.” — Neil McComb,
STRANGE FACTORIES TOUR
- 2013 Strange Factories: The Imaginari
- 26 October - 9 November 2013 at the Cinema Museum, London, UK
- 10 November 2013 at the Duke of York's Picture House, Brighton, UK
- 15–16 November 2013 with Sundown Cinema at Cadwell Farm, Hitchin, UK
- 18 November 2013 at Pavilion Dance, Bournemouth, UK
- 2014 Strange Factories: Remade
- 13 September 2014 Scalarama at the Curzon Community Cinema, Clevedon, UK
- 24 September 2014, Making Waves Film Festival, Kings Theatre, Portsmouth, UK
- 17 October 2014, at the Ultimate Picture Palace, Oxford, UK
- 1 November 2014 at The Magic Lantern Cinema, Tywyn, UK